Group Financial Controller
Reporting to the Directors and to assume responsibility for and overall management of all financial aspects of McKeever Group. To provide strategic and proactive information and advice on financial matters relating to the Group and to provide leadership to the Finance Team.
Reporting to the Finance Director/Chairman, the successful candidate will have a commercial background and will be responsible for taking a leading role in the day to day management of the Group Financial Management function. This will include ensuring that the new structures, processes and procedures for the accounting functions within the individual Hotels are robust.
The Group Financial Controller will supervise the control and coordination of the accounting processing within the hotels and at HQ levels and be responsible to produce weekly and monthly management accounts for all aspects of the Hotel Group.
The ideal candidate will be a process minded leader, demonstrating strong business and financial acumen and have a successful track record of Financial Management in the Hotel sector.
The successful candidate will nurture and lead a high performing finance team both centrally and in the hotels; delivering timely financial reporting to the Board, Chairman, and Executive Committee and to the Hotels General Management Team; driving profitability and maintaining the financial control of the business.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To control the day-to-day financial management of the group, ensuring that strong internal control systems are in place
- To understand the financial and operational systems and processes that are present in each of the Hotels and to seek constant improvement and refinement of same
- Responsibility for the financial team and the finance functions within each of the Hotels
- To ensure uniformity of reporting from the Hotels on a weekly and monthly basis
- Weekly – Revenues and Wages for each business shown against forecasts, budgets and equivalent week last year and forecasted cashflow statements from each of the units
- Monthly – Profit & Loss Accounts from each business with comparators to budget and to last year
- Working closely with general managers and accounts teams for each of the properties, running through the Profit & Loss Accounts with them monthly in each of the properties, with deviations to budget and/or previous year comparators to be investigated
- Consolidation of individual hotels’ Profit & Loss Accounts and production of monthly board packs
- Ensuring Balance Sheet reconciliations are carried out on a quarterly basis by the finance teams in each property.
- Liaising with the Banks to ensure that all banking issues are dealt with in a speedy and efficient manner
- Overall cashflow management of the McKeever Hotel Group.
- Supervision of the budgetary process within each hotel and have a direct input to these budgets.
- Timely and accurate production of all financial information reflecting all the income and expenditure of the hotel.
- Effective management and production of the weekly, monthly and quarterly revenue and cost forecasting
- Management of the annual budgeting process for the hotel with effective liaison with GM, HoDs and Chair of the Board and Directors of Operations and Marketing
- Monitoring all the management accounting and control systems within each Hotel
- Managing the month end process to ensure accurate and timely completion of Management Accounts.,
- Ensuring adequate procedures and systems are in place to maintain proper books and records, and as affords adequate internal accounting controls.
- Preparing detailed monthly management accounts for the hotels / companies under remit. These will comprise P&L accounts and Balance Sheet accompanied with the requisite comparators and explanations for material variances. Reviewing these accounts monthly.
- Managing cash flow requirements by way of preparing or overseeing regular cash flow projections,
- To monitor the accounting function, particularly with regard to ensuring that sales and purchase ledgers are properly maintained and regularly reconciled and that they facilitate cash flow in line with banking arrangements and agreed credit periods with customers and suppliers.
- Ensuring the timely preparation and submission of all necessary statutory returns including VAT returns, PAYE/PRSI returns, RCT returns and Corporation Tax returns and any other statutory returns required by CSO or other authorities.
- Ensure effective supervision of the financial department team.
- Annual budgeting & weekly forecasting with the General Manager and Heads of Department to deliver budgets and forecasts that are accurate and timely,
- Presentations to Chairman and Board of Directors a, showing current and forecasted business position and highlighting future opportunities,
- Drive and lead the General Managers in achieving their hotel KPI's,
- Proactively supporting the General Manager and HODs on financial issues.
- Controlling hotel expenditure through an effective procurement ordering system
- Active participation in monthly Business Review Meetings with the GMs, Directors and accounts team.
- To drive the group purchasing element and to be involved in negotiations with larger suppliers and obtaining the most favourable prices for the Hotel Group as a whole.
- To liaise with auditors, solicitors, tax and other advisors, as necessary
- Responsibility for the year-end audit process for each of the hotel & companies within the Group
- To undertake strategic analysis and feasibility studies of business opportunities as they arise, and other ad hoc projects
Requirements for the Candidate;
- ACA/ACCA/CPA or CIMA qualified with a least 5 years PQE
- Strong technical accounting skills and experience
- Experience in managing a diverse finance function or functions across a hotel group
- Strong systems and Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel and Powerpoint
- Experience in introducing and implementing new systems and controls
- Organised, efficient, self-driven and assertive with excellent communication skills
- Experience of running the finance function in a multi-site role
- Experience of setting up and managing group wide internal controls and reporting systems
- Proven financial and commercial acumen, including investments.
- Hospitality experience involving multiple hotel units would be an advantage
Send your CV to email@example.com